Monday, November 12, 2007

You know you're a woman living on the edge of a new and smooth road when...


Just recently the city decided to newly pave the intersection right next to my house. They also a paved a stretch of road about half a mile down from one of the four arms. Everyday I have the pleasure driving down or up it as the case may be when I return from driving my son to school. It struck me funny as all my thoughts do at one time or another. I come up with these sentences that make excellent titles for the chapters of my future book. This time I thought about an old road and a new road. The old road is bumpy and familiar and we are comfortable with its' wiggling and winding. We know when to put on the brakes and we know when to veer off to the left or right depending on where the deep manhole cover has indented over time. It is a comfortable ride, even if it not totally comfortable. It is well known to us and this is what brings the texture and comfort to our minds.

You can relate this to life in a big way, as you know I always manage to do. Sometimes we get on a road, and it is so well worn and so safe that we get scared to take another route. This can be detrimental to experienceing life to the fullest. We can become predictable and one day wake up to find that we are boring and unhappy with what or where we have come from. Taking a new road would mean research, extra time and most likely extra gas. focusing on taking a new road in our lives takes so much energy that sometimes we opt to remain of the old and comfortable road.

As I drove down this new road the other day I paid close attention to how it felt. It was smooth and slick and the leaves wisked quickly across it as the wind blew. My car loved it and for me it was exhilerating! I love being one of the first people to drive on new pavement. I couldn't help think about my own life as I drove along this new road and how there have been so many hardships and roadblocks put up infront of me wherever I turn. I keep asking what is the next step in my journey what road am I to take. No answer came.

No comments: